Raffles Institution

Applying to US Universities


    Application deadlines for UK and US Universities 2016 - 2017

    Check if the school you are applying to is a Common Application member

    Applications to US universities must be done through Naviance and the Common Application and as a student of RI. Students who wish to apply will need their Naviance account activated by the College Admissions Counselling Office. 

    The RI Guide to using Naviance is found in the Documents Library (screen right on your Naviance login page). You will need to have activated your Naviance account. Please contact the College Admissions Office and speak to any of our College Admissions Counsellors.

    Students applying for Early Decision or Early Action consideration should complete their applications by late October. Applications for Regular Decision close on January 1 of the following year and applicants should ensure that all the necessary documents are submitted by early December in order to ensure their application is completed.

    Please note that the Naviance account allows the College Admissions Counsellors to track and submit students' school forms (e.g. teacher's evaluations, e-transcripts). Hence, applicants should request teachers' and Counsellor's evaluations through Naviance. However, applicants will still have to complete the student portion of their applications to the colleges via the Common Application website.


     Non-Common Application Schools

    Applicants should list all schools that they are applying to that require Counsellor/ teacher recommendations and transcripts in Naviance, regardless of whether they are on the Common Application. The College Admissions Counselling Office will assist in sending school forms on the applicant's behalf, where applicable.

    Some non-Common App schools may require paper copies of documents to be sent by regular mail. This may also apply to selected art colleges. You should still list these schools in Naviance, but notify the College Admissions Office if you are required to send the hard copies of your transcripts to universities. Where you are required to send physical copies of documents through the mail, you are advised to ensure all the necessary documents are submitted to the counseling office by early December in order (or two weeks prior to the deadline, whichever is earlier) to ensure their application is completed.

    Contact the College Admissions Counsellors directly if you have doubts. Selected schools such as the University of California schools require applicants to send certified true copies of transcripts by post prior to matriculation.